Progression & MilestonesThe LIS PhD program begins in the Fall. To proceed in the program, a student must meet all progression milestones and:
- Maintain an overall average of at least 75% with no more than one course in the C range (60-69%) and no course below 60%.
- To maintain funding, a student must meet all progression milestones and achieve at least 78% standing averaged over all courses in each term, with no course below 60%.
Doctoral students are required to complete six courses, including:
- 9801 - Advanced Research Methods 1 (fall of first year)
- 9802 - Advanced Research Methods 2 (winter of first year)
- 9800 - Introduction to Doctoral-Level Scholarship in Library and Information Science (one half course taken over Fall/Winter)
Three elective courses
Three electives, including at least one of: GRADLIS 9811 Information Policy (Summer), GRADLIS 9879 Human Information Practices (Fall) , GRADLIS 9822 Information Retrieval (Summer) must be completed in the program.
Students may elect to take a course from the doctoral program in Media Studies, one or two relevant one-term courses from other Western graduate programs, and MLIS courses with additional, higher level workload and evaluation criteria.