Progression & Milestones
The LIS PhD program begins in the Fall. To proceed in the program, a student must meet all progression milestones and:
- Maintain an overall average of at least 75% with no more than one course in the C range (60-69%) and no course below 60%.
- To maintain funding, a student must meet all progression milestones and achieve at least 78% standing averaged over all courses in each term, with no course below 60%.
Doctoral students are required to complete six courses, including:
- 9809 – Research Methods (fall of first year)
- 9806 – Statistical Methods (winter of first year)
Four elective courses
Students may elect to take a course from the doctoral program in Media Studies, one or two relevant one-term courses from other Western graduate programs, and MLIS courses with additional, higher level workload and evaluation criteria.
- Research Proposal Milestone
- Comprehensive Examination Milestone
- Presentation of a public lecture on thesis topic
- Passing of an oral exam
- Attendance at all LIS research colloquia for the duration of the student's residency
PROGRAM INFO: PhD LIS Home; Progression & Milestones; Exams, Proposal & Thesis; Fields of Specialization; Courses; Thesis Supervision; Co-op Program; Student Research; Part-Time PhD Program; Tuition & Finances; How to Apply.