Progressive Librarians' Guild (PLG)Western University Student Chapter
Mission Statement: The Progressive Librarians Guild - London, Ontario (PLG - London) chapter is cultivating spaces for critical dialogue and collaborative action on core issues affecting information workers.
Progressive Librarians Guild is committed to:
- providing a forum for the open exchange of radical views on library issues.
- conducting campaigns to support progressive and democratic library activities locally, nationally and internationally.
- supporting activist librarians as they work to effect changes in their own libraries and communities.
- bridging the artificial and destructive gaps between school, public, academic and special libraries, and between public and technical services.
- encouraging debate about prevailing management strategies adopted directly from the business world, to propose democratic forms of library administration, and to foster unity between librarians and other library workers.
- critically considering the impact of technological change in the library workplace, on the provision of library services, and on the character of public discourse.
- monitoring the professional ethics of librarianship from a perspective of social responsibility.
- facilitating contacts between progressive librarians and other professional and scholarly groups dealing with communications and all the political, social, economic and cultural trends which impact upon it worldwide, in a global context.
"PLG depends on the energy and ideas of its members and finds its direction, to a large extent, from them."
"Membership is open to library workers and users who are committed to the ideals of the political left, agree with PLG's Statement of Purpose, its commitments and present activities."
The PLG maintains a website at http://plglondon.wordpress.com
Contact the PLG at: firstname.lastname@example.org