PhD in Media Studies (PhD MS)
Critical media studies in FIMSThe Faculty of Information & Media Studies' (FIMS) graduate programs in Media Studies foster interdisciplinary study at the intersection of media, technology and culture. Our programs offer opportunities for students to conduct advanced research across media and disciplines, focusing on media products, practices and reception.
- a dynamic, interdisciplinary approach to media studies
- excellence in research and teaching
- faculty expertise and mentoring from a range of disciplines and theoretical perspectives
- small class sizes that encourage scholarly debate and discussion
- a close-knit, collegial community of students and faculty
- a generous funding package
Media studies at the doctoral levelComprising coursework, a written and oral comprehensive and a thesis based on original research, the program is designed to be completed within 4 years of study. The presence of a diversity of graduate students and faculty members, whose disciplinary and interdisciplinary academic and research backgrounds are informed through a range of modalities of inquiry, creates an exciting context for critically engaging a wide range of projects and theoretical approaches in media studies.
Launched in Fall 2005, the program focuses on media, broadly defined, through a kaleidoscopic interplay of culture, industry and technology, organized around three major fields of specialization:
- Media Cultures
- Media Industries
- Media Technologies