Doctoral Faculty in LIS
Ajiferuke, Isola. BSc, MSc, U. Ibadan, Nigeria; MLIS, PhD, Western
- Informetrics; Knowledge management; Information retrieval; Webometrics.
Burkell, Jacquelyn. BA, British Columbia; MA, PhD, Western
- Role of cognition in information use; Decision making; Human-computer interface design; Credibility assessment; Risk communication; Program evaluation.
Campbell, Grant. BA, Toronto; MA, PhD, Queens; MISt, Toronto
- Cataloguing; Subject analysis; Classification; Electronic text design; Metadata systems.
Dyer-Witheford, Nick. BA, MA, PhD, Simon Fraser
- Networked capitalism; Cyber-Marxism; Video and computer games.
Farber, Carole. BA, PhD, British Columbia
- Electronic sources and services; Serving remote learners and users; Images and issues of gender; Technology and librarians.
Frohmann, Bernd. BA, MA, MLS, PhD, Toronto
- Philosophy of information; Information ethics; Material cultures of information; Theory of documents, documentation, and writing systems.
Harris, Roma. BA, British Columbia; MA, PhD, MPA, Western
- Health information seeking and use; Gender, work and technology relations.
Hill, Heather. BA, Missouri–Kansas City; MA, PhD, Missouri–Columbia
- Public libraries; Collection development; Ethics; Critical discourse analysis; Information policy; Rural libraries; Reference.
Johnson, Catherine (Kate). BA, New Brunswick; MA, Dalhousie; MLS, PhD, Toronto
- Social capital; Social role of public libraries; Digital divide; Libraries in developing countries; Information seeking behaviour.
Leckie, Gloria. BA, Windsor; MLS, MA, PhD, Western
- Library as space; Information seeking practices; Public libraries; Academic librarianship; OPAC and Web portal interfaces.
McKechnie, Lynne. BA, Manitoba; MLS, Toronto; PhD, Western
- Materials and services for children and young adults; Children, reading and public libraries; Everyday information practices of children and young adults; Youth and information policy; Public libraries; Information services; Readers advisory; Collection management; LIS history; Everyday life information practices; Qualitative research methods.
McKenzie, Pam. BA, Toronto; MA, New Brunswick; MLIS, PhD, Western
- Serving user needs; Information needs and seeking; Sources of information; Collection development; Health information resources; Research methods.
Neal, Diane. BA, MS, PhD, University of North Texas
- Information organization; Image and music retrieval; Web usability and interaction design; Information visualization; Technology in library settings; Health information; Database systems; Research methods.
Pyati, Ajit. BA, UC Berkeley; MLIS, PhD, UCLA
- Information society and policy; Globalization, migration, and ICTs; International library development; Critical information studies.
Quan-Haase, Anabel. BS, MSc, Humboldt; PhD, Toronto
- Social software; Internet studies; Communities of practice; Information need and use; Computer-mediated communication.
Ross, Catherine. MA, Toronto; BA, MLS, PhD, Western
- Reference transaction; Readers’ advisory; Studies of readers; Research methods.
Rothbauer, Paulette. BA, Toronto; MLIS, PhD, Western
- Studies of readers and reading; Children's and young adult literature; Role of public libraries; Youth and information practices; LIS and sexual diversity studies.
Rubin, Victoria. BA, Kharkov State, Ukraine; MA, PhD, Syracuse
- Natural language processing (language technologies and applications; subtle text properties: writer's certainty, text credibility); Information retrieval (information extraction techniques); Categorization and classification (multi-lingual classification transfer); Data-mining; Multi-lingual information access; Sociolinguistics (language, culture, and society).
Sedig, Kamran. BSc, Concordia; MSc, McGill; PhD, British Columbia
- Information visualization; Human-computer interaction design; Visually-enhanced interactive thought-support tools; Design of learning and knowledge tools; Computer-aided thinking.
Vaughan, Liwen. Dipl. Electronics, MSc, Shanghai; PhD, Western
- Web search engines; Web data mining; Information retrieval; Webometrics; Informetrics.
Wathen, Nadine. BA(Hons), Dalhousie; MA, PhD, Western; Post-doctoral Fellowship, McMaster
- Health information seeking; family violence; Knowledge translation & exchange; Health information practices and health sciences librarianship; Qualitative and quantitative research methods.
Wilkinson, Margaret Ann (Faculty of Law). LLB, Toronto; BA, Trinity; MLS, Toronto; PhD, Western
- Professor Wilkinson is currently concentrating her research and teaching within the Faculty of Law. However, she is still actively involved in the LIS doctoral program and is available to act as an LIS thesis supervisor or member of an LIS thesis advisory committee. She is also teaching LIS 768/868 Ownership and Governance of Information. As well, she welcomes any LIS doctoral student who wishes to enroll at the graduate level in her courses in the Faculty of Law in the International Protection of Intellectual Property or Information Law."
Xiao, Lu. BA, Hunan; MSc, Florida; PhD, Pennsylvania State
- Groupware design for collaborative learning activities; Design for reflective thinking; Role of rationale awareness in group activities; Sustainability of technology growth in community groups; Informal learning infrastructure.