Alumni & Development Officer, Faculty of Information & Media Studies (Ref# 10377)
Please apply on or before Wednesday, June 21, 2017 on the Working at Western website.
||Alumni and Development Officer, Faculty of Information & Media Studies
||VP External - Development and Alumni Relations
||PMA - Professional and Managerial Association
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Alumni Relations & Development plays a leading role in strengthening awareness of and support for the University’s mission and goals. The department seeks to build enduring alumni and public trust through understanding and support for Western through a coordinated campus-wide effort. The key goal of the department is to connect Western’s alumni, friends, students, parents, faculty and staff, corporations and foundations through strategies and programs that build long-term relationships and philanthropic support for the University.
The Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS) is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about media, communications and information technologies. Through teaching and research, FIMS examines the cultural industries, institutions, and practices that produce news, information and entertainment. It investigates the creation and operation of the technologies of communication and their interactions with individuals and society. FIMS interweaves theory and practice in professional and scholarly contexts. Strong programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels are linked to the public and private sectors and to community organizations, in an academic environment characterized by interdisciplinarity, collaboration, creative inquiry, and critical thinking.
The Alumni & Development Officer, Faculty of Information and Media Studies (ADO, FIMS) is responsible for the design, development, implementation, evaluation and management of effective, innovative, and transformative alumni relations and fundraising strategies supporting the goals of the Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS). The incumbent will recommend, plan and execute campaign activity and charitable donations which match FIMS’ and the University's academic, alumni/community engagement, and financial objectives with the highest philanthropic aspirations of donors. The ADO, FIMS will work in collaboration with the decanal team, faculty and programs as well as with external stakeholders to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors and prospective donors and strengthen their loyalty in support of revenue and engagement strategies.
- University Degree, preferably in Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related discipline
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is preferred
- 3 years' experience in fundraising or similar revenue-generating role
- Experience fundraising in a University or other complex non-profit environment is preferred
- Experience in proposal development and delivering presentations is preferre
- Experience in the preparation of newsletters and various other communication materials is preferred
- Proven experience with the use of various digital media platforms is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Western Values Diversity
- Familiarity with charitable sector and fundraising databases
- Ability to effectively lead a fundraising or revenue-generating campaign and achieve targets
- Familiarity with the Faculty of Information and Media Studies and its graduate and undergraduate programs
- Ability to collaborate and develop credible relationships with a wide variety of individuals
- Ability to apply creativity and recommend strategies for engagement initiatives in response to cultural and social trends
- Cross-cultural competency with an ability to interact and work effectively with people from different cultures and backgrounds
- Self-driven, critical thinker who is highly skilled at anticipating and resolving stakeholder relation issues
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization's strategy and goals
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- Discretion, tact and maturity to deal with public relations issues related to higher education
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to remain highly motivated, resilient, innovative, and collaborative when faced with challenges
- Ability to apply regulations or professional standards to own work
- Familiarity with best practices in records maintenance and marketing trends
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the Universitys events and activities
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Possess a reputation for resourcefulness with a strong sense of accountability and initiative
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Problem solving skills and sound professional judgment, especially regarding confidential/sensitive matters
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
- A valid Ontario Driver's License
- A willingness to travel
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194